Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) will release the Revised CBSE Class 11 Geography Syllabus 2023-24 for the new academic year. All important topics of this Latest CBSE Class 11 Geography Syllabus 2023-24 are discussed in this article. Read the article till the end for complete information about CBSE Class 11th Geography Syllabus 2023-24.
Importance of CBSE Class 11th Geography Syllabus 2023-24
Geography is offered as an optional subject at the senior secondary level. After ten years of general education, students exit at the beginning of this stage and are exposed for the first time to the rigors of discipline.
Being an entry point to higher education, students choose Geography to pursue their academic interest and hence, require a broad and deep understanding of the subject. For others, geographical knowledge is useful in daily life as it is a valuable medium for the education of youth. Its contribution lies in the content, cognitive processes, skills, and values that geography promotes and thus helps students to better explore, understand and evaluate the environmental and social dimensions of the world.
Since geography explores the relationship between people and their environment, it includes the study of physical and human environments and their interactions at various scales—local, state/territory, nation, and world. There is a need to properly understand the fundamentals responsible for the variations in the distribution patterns of physical and human characteristics and phenomena on the Earth’s surface.
These principles will be applied through selected case studies from across the world and India. Thus, the physical and human environment of India and some issues from the geographical point of view will be studied in more detail. Students will be exposed to the various methods used in the geographic investigation.
CBSE Geography Syllabus 2023-24 Class 11 Course Structure
CBSE Class 11 Geography Syllabus for Academic Session 2023-24
Part A: Fundamentals of Physical Geography (89 Periods)
Unit 1: Geography as a Discipline (6 Periods)
- Geography as an integrating discipline, as a science of spatial attributes
- Branches of Geography: Physical Geography and Human Geography
Unit 2: The Earth (11 Periods)
- Origin and evolution of the earth
- Interior of the earth Earthquakes and volcanoes: causes, types, and effects
- Distribution of oceans and continents: Wegener’s continental drift theory and plate tectonics.
Unit 3: Landforms (20 Periods)
- Geomorphic processes: weathering; mass wasting; erosion and deposition; soil-formation
- Landforms and their evolution- Brief erosional and depositional features.
Unit 4: Climate (30 Periods)
- Atmosphere- composition, and structure; elements of weather and climate
- Solar Radiation-Insolation-angle of incidence and distribution; heat budget of the earth heating and cooling of the atmosphere (conduction, convection, terrestrial radiation, and advection); temperature- factors controlling the temperature; distribution of temperature-horizontal and vertical; inversion of temperature
- Atmospheric circulation and weather systems – Pressure-pressure belts; winds-planetary, seasonal, and local; air masses and fronts; tropical and extratropical cyclones
- Water in the atmosphere-Precipitationevaporation; condensation dew, frost, fog, mist, and cloud; rainfall types and world distribution
- World Climate and Global Concerns.
Unit 5: Water (Oceans) (10 Periods)
- Basics of Oceanography
- Oceans – distribution of temperature and salinity
- Movements of ocean water waves, tides, and currents; submarine reliefs.
Unit 6: Life on the Earth (7 Periods)
- Biosphere – the importance of plants and other organisms; biodiversity and conservation.
Map work on the identification of features based on 1 to 6 units on the outline Physical/Political map of the world. (5 Periods)
Part B: India-Physical Environment (78 Periods)
Unit 7: Introduction (4 Periods)
- India: Location, space relations, India’s place in the world
Unit 8: Physiography (28 Periods)
- Structure and Relief; Physiographic Divisions
- Drainage systems: Concept of river basins, watersheds; the Himalayan and the Peninsular rivers.
Unit 9: Climate, Vegetation, and Soil (28 Periods)
- Weather and climate – spatial and temporal distribution of temperature, Indian monsoon: the mechanism, onset, and withdrawal.
- Natural vegetation-forest types and distribution; wildlife; conservation; biosphere reserves
Unit 10: Hazards and Disasters: Causes, Consequences, and management
- Floods, Cloudbursts
- Droughts: types and impact
- Earthquakes and Tsunami Cyclones: features and impact
Map Work of features based on the above units for locating and labeling on the outline Political/Physical map of India (4 Periods)
Part C: Practical Work in Geography Part I (50 Periods)
Unit 1: Fundamentals of Maps (25 Periods)
- Geospatial data, Concept of Geographical data matrix; Point, line, area data
- Maps – types; scales-types; construction of simple linear scale, measuring distance; finding direction and use of symbols
- Map projection- Latitude, longitude and time, typology, construction, and properties of projection: Conical with one standard parallel and Mercator’s projection. (only two projections)
Unit 2: Topographic and Weather Maps
- Study of topographic maps (1:50,000 or 1 : 25,000 Survey of India maps); contour cross-section and identification of landforms-slopes, hills, valleys, waterfall, cliffs; distribution of settlements
- Satellite imageries, stages in remote sensing data- acquisition, platform and sensors, and data products, (photographic and digital).
Practical Record Book and Viva Voce Viva to be based on Practical Unit I and II only
CBSE Class 11 Syllabus 2023-24 All Subjects PDF Download
- CBSE Class 11 Mathematics Syllabus
- CBSE Class 11 Physics Syllabus
- CBSE Class 11 Chemistry Syllabus
- CBSE Class 11 Biology Syllabus
- CBSE Class 11 English Syllabus
We hope you like this article about Latest CBSE Class 11 Geography Syllabus 2023-24. If you want to ask any queries regarding the Revised CBSE Class 11 Geography Syllabus 2023-24 then message us in the comment section, and we will reply to you soon.