Types of chemical reaction
The important types of chemical reactions are:
- Combination reactions
- Decomposition reactions
- Displacement reactions
- Double displacement reactions
- Oxidation and Reduction reactions
- Combination reactions: Those reactions in which two or more substances combine to form new substances are known as combination reactions. A combination reaction is also known as a synthesis reaction.
A + B ─────> AB
Ex: 2 H 2 + O 2 ─────> 2 H 2 O
Ex: 2 Na + Cl 2 ─────> 2 Na Cl
- Decomposition reactions: A reaction in which a single compound breaks down to produce two or more simpler substances that is a compound decomposes into simpler substances. It is the opposite of a combination reaction. There are three ways in which decomposition reactions can be carried out is the energy required in decombination reaction can be supplied in the following ways:
AB ─────> A + B
Ex: Ca Co 3 ─────> Ca O + CO 2
Ex: 2 Fe SO 4 ─────> Fe 2 O 3 + SO 2 + SO 3
- Displacement reaction: A chemical reaction in which a more reactive element displaces a less reactive element from its aqueous salt solution. It is also called a substitution reaction.
X + Y Z ─────> X Z + Y
Ex: Zn + Cu SO 4 ─────> Zn SO 4 + Cu
Ex: Fe + Cu SO 4 ─────> Fe SO 4 + Cu
Click here to download PDF DOWNLOAD NOW
- Double Displacement Reaction: A chemical reaction in which ions get exchanged between two reactants that form a new compound is called a double displacement reaction. It is also called a metathesis reaction.
X Y + Z A ─────> X A + Z Y
Ex: BaCl 2 + NaSO4 ─────> BaSO4 + NaCl
Precipitation Reaction: Any reaction in which an insoluble solid is formed that separates from the solution is called a precipitation reaction.
Ex: If barium chloride solution is added to copper sulphate solution, then a white precipitate of barium sulphate is produced along with copper chloride solution:
BaCl 2 +CuSO4 ─────> BaSO4 + CuCl 2
(i) The addition of oxygen to a substance is called oxidation.
(ii) The removal of hydrogen from a substance is also called oxidation.
(i) The addition of hydrogen to a substance is called reduction.
(ii) The removal of oxygen from a substance is also called reaction.
CuO + H 2 ─────> Cu + H2O
Redox Reaction: The oxidation and reduction reactions are also called redox reactions. In the name ‘redox’ the term ‘red’ Stands for ‘reduction’ and ‘ox’ stands for oxidation.
I hope you like this post “Types of chemical reaction”.