Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) releases the latest CBSE Class 12 Computer Science Syllabus for Academic Session 2023-24. In this article, we provide all topics and subjects given in the official CBSE 12th Computer Science Syllabus 2023-24. Read the article till the end for all important topics and chapters mentioned in the latest CBSE Class 12th Science Syllabus 2023-24.
Below is the CBSE Class 12 Computer Science Syllabus for the Board Exam 2024 for aspirants to download in PDF. This computer science syllabus is important to know the syllabus structure including the weightage given to different units and the exam scheme for Theory and Practical. Aspirants of class 12 should prepare for their CBSE Board Exam 2024 according to the material mentioned in this revised syllabus
1. Prerequisites: Computer Science- Class XI
2. Learning Outcomes: Students should be able to
- a) apply the concept of function.
- b) explain and use the concept of file handling.
- c) use basic data structure: Stacks
- d) explain basics of computer networks.
- e) use Database concepts and SQL along with connectivity between Python and SQL.
Join Telegram for Latest CBSE Updates
CBSE Class 12 Computer Science Syllabus 2023-24 Marks Distribution
|Unit Name||Marks||Theory (Periods)||Practical (Periods)|
|Computational Thinking and Programming – 2||40||70||50|
Unit I: Computational Thinking and Programming – 2
- Revision of Python topics covered in Class XI.
- Functions: types of function (built-in functions, functions defined in module, user-defined functions), creating user-defined function, arguments, and parameters, default parameters, positional parameters, a function returning value(s), the flow of execution, the scope of a variable (global scope, local scope)
- Introduction to files, types of files (Text file, Binary file, CSV file), relative and absolute paths
- Text file: opening a text file, text file open modes (r, r+, w, w+, a, a+), closing a text file, opening a file using with clause, writing/appending data to a text file using write() and write lines (), reading from a text file using read(), deadline () and deadlines (), seek and tell methods, manipulation of data in a text file.
- Binary file: basic operations on a binary file: open using file open modes (rb, rb+, wb, wb+, ab, ab+), close a binary file, import pickle module, dump() and load() method, read, write/create, search, append and update operations in a binary file.
- CSV file: import csv module, open/close CSV file, write into a CSV file using csv.writer(), and read from a CSV file using csv.reader( )
- Data Structure: Stack, operations on the stack (push & pop), implementation of stack using the list.
Unit II: Computer Networks
- Evolution of Networking: introduction to computer networks, the evolution of networking (ARPANET, NSFNET, INTERNET).
- Data communication terminologies: the concept of communication, components of data communication (sender, receiver, message, communication media, protocols), measuring capacity of communication media (bandwidth, data transfer rate), IP address, switching techniques (Circuit switching, Packet switching).
- Transmission media: Wired communication media (Twisted pair cable, Co-axial cable, Fiber-optic cable), Wireless media (Radio waves, Microwaves, Infrared waves).
- Network devices (Modem, Ethernet card, RJ45, Repeater, Hub, Switch, Router, Gateway, WIFI card)
- Network topologies and Network types: types of networks (PAN, LAN, MAN, WAN), networking topologies (Bus, Star, Tree)
- Network protocol: HTTP, FTP, PPP, SMTP, TCP/IP, POP3, HTTPS, TELNET, VoIP
- Introduction to web services: WWW, Hyper Text Markup Language (HTML), Extensible Markup Language (XML), domain names, URL, website, web browser, web servers, and web hosting.
Unit III: Database Management
- Database concepts: introduction to database concepts and their need.
- Relational data model: relation, attribute, tuple, domain, degree, cardinality, keys (candidate key, primary key, alternate key, foreign key).
- Structured Query Language: introduction, Data Definition Language and Data Manipulation Language, data type (char(n), varchar(n), int, float, date), constraints (not null, unique, primary key), create a database, user database, show databases, drop the database, show tables, create the table, describe the table, alter table (add and remove an attribute, add and remove primary key), drop table, insert, delete, select, operators (mathematical, relational and logical), aliasing, distinct clause, where clause, in, between, order by, the meaning of null, is null, is not null, like, update command, delete command, aggregate functions (max, min, avg, sum, count), group by, having clause, joins: cartesian product on two tables, equijoin, and natural join.
- The interface of python with an SQL database: connecting SQL with Python, performing insert, update, and delete queries using the cursor, displaying data by using fetch one (), fetch (), row count, and creating database connectivity applications.
CBSE Class 12 Computer Science Syllabus 2023-24 for Practical Exam
1. Python program (60% logic + 20% documentation +
20% code quality)
2. A stub program with Python SQL connectivity must
be provided with blanks (4 blanks) to be filled by the
a student with the desired SQL query.
|8 + 4|
Minimum 15 Python programs.
SQL Queries – Minimum 5 sets using one table /
Minimum 4 programs based on Python – SQL
|Project (using concepts learned in Classes 11 and 12)||8|
Suggested Practical List
- Read a text file line by line and display each word separated by a #.
- Read a text file and display the number of vowels/consonants/uppercase/lowercase characters in the file.
- Remove all the lines that contain the character ‘a’ in a file and write it to another file.
- Create a binary file with the name and roll number. Search for a given roll number and display the name, if not found display the appropriate message.
- Create a binary file with roll number, name, and marks. Input a roll number and update the marks.
- Write a random number generator that generates random numbers between 1 and 6 (simulates a dice).
- Write a Python program to implement a stack using the list.
- Create a CSV file by entering the user-id and password, and read and search for the password for the given user ID.
Create a student table and insert data. Implement the following SQL commands on the student table:
- ALTER table to add new attributes / modify data type/drop attribute
- UPDATE table to modify data
- ORDER By to display data in ascending/descending order
- DELETE to remove tuple(s)
- GROUP BY and find the min, max, sum, count, and average
A similar exercise may be framed for other cases. Integrate SQL with Python by importing suitable modules.
Suggested Reading Material
- NCERT Textbook for COMPUTER SCIENCE (Class XII)
- Support Materials on the official CBSE Board website.
The aim of the class project is to create something that is tangible and useful using Python file handling/Python-SQL connectivity. This should be done in groups of two to three students and should be started by students at least 6 months before the submission deadline. The aim here is to find a real-world problem that is worthwhile to solve.
Students are encouraged to visit local businesses and ask them about the problems they are facing. For example, if a business is finding it difficult to generate invoices for filing GST claims, students can do a project that takes raw data (list of transactions), transacts by category, GST tax Accounts for rates, and generates invoices in the proper format. Students can be extremely creative here.
They can use a variety of Python libraries to create user-friendly applications such as games, software for their school, software for fellow students with disabilities, and mobile applications, of course, to perform some of these projects. For this, some additional learning is required. , It should be encouraged. Students should know how to teach themselves.
Students should be sensitized to avoid plagiarism and copyright issues infringement while working on projects. For this teachers should take the necessary steps.
CBSE Class 12 Computer Science Syllabus PDF Download
Also Read: CBSE Class 12 Syllabus PDF
Also Read: CBSE Class 12 Maths Syllabus 2023-24
Also Read: CBSE Class 12 Physics Syllabus 2023-24
Also Read: CBSE Class 12 Chemistry Syllabus 2023-24
We hope you like this article about CBSE Class 12 Computer Science Syllabus 2023-24. If you want to ask any queries regarding the CBSE Class 12 Computer Science Syllabus 2023-24 then message us in the comment section, and we will reply to you soon. Share this article with your Friends, Teachers, and Parents.