Discovery of the neutron, proton, and electron
Explain Discovery of the Neutron
Who discovered neutron?
The existence of neutrons in atoms was discovered by James Chadwick in 1932.
The neutron is a neutral particle present in the nucleus of an atom. Atoms of all the elements contain neutrons except hydrogen atom which does not contain any neutron. A neutron is a subatomic particle that is not found in hydrogen. A hydrogen atom contains only one proton and one neutron.
Properties of Neutron
- The relative mass of a neutron is 1 u.
- The absolute mass of a neutron is 1.675 x 10-27
- Neutron is represented by the symbol n.
- Neutron has no charge.
- It is located in the nucleus of the atom.
DISCOVERY OF ELECTRON
The existence of electrons in an atom was discovered by J.J Thomson in 1897. When Thomson passed electricity at high voltage through gas at very low pressure taken in a discharge tube. These steam of cathode rays in the gas discharge tube consist of negatively charged particles called electrons. Atoms that contain negatively charged particles are called electrons.
Properties of Electron
- Electron is discovered by J.J. Thomson.
- The absolute mass of electron, Me = 9.1 x 10-31 kg
- The relative mass of the electron is 1/1840 u.
- The absolute charge of electron = – 1.6 x 10-19
- The relative charge of electrons is -1 (minus one).
- An electron is represented by e–.
DISCOVERY OF PROTON
The existence of protons in the atoms was discovered by E. Goldstein / Rutherford.
When Goldstein passes at high voltage through gas at very low pressure taken in a discharge tube, streams of heavy particles were given out by the anode (positive electrode). These streams of particles are called anode rays. The anode rays obtained from hydrogen gas in the discharge tube consist of positive particles called protons. The anode rays obtained from hydrogen gas in the discharge tube consists of positively charged particles called protons. It is formed by the removal of an electron from a hydrogen atom.
- The charge of a proton is equal and opposite to the charge of the electron.
- A proton is represented by the symbol p+.
- The absolute Charge of protons is 1.6 x 10-19
- The relative charge of a proton is +1.
- The absolute mass of proton, Mp = 1.673 x 10-27 kg
- The relative mass of protons is 1 u.
- The mass of a proton is equal to the mass of a Hydrogen atom.
- Canal rays are positively charged radiation consisting of protons. Canal rays were discovered by Goldstein and this led to the discovery of the proton.
- Protons and neutrons found in the nucleus of an atom are together referred to as nucleons.
What have you learn
1. Discovery of neutron.
2. Property of neutron.
3. Discovery of the electron.
4. Property of electron.
5. Discovery of Proton.
6. Property of proton.
I hope you like this post “Discovery of the neutron, proton, and electron”.